Guidelines for using Quotations
1. Set off quotations with quotation marks.
2. Do not use quotations in more
than a third of your paper.
3. Use quotations to support what you have to say, not to present your
thesis and main points.
4. Quote accurately.
5. Select quotations from authorities in your subject.
quotations that fit your meaning.
7. Keep long quotations to a minimum.
8. Work quotations smoothly into your writing.
9. Document your source. Write down all documentation information so that you can document your source
when you use it in your writing.
Guidelines for using paraphrases
1. Say what the source says and no
2. Reproduce the source's order or ideas and emphasis.
3. Use your own words and phrasing to restate the
4. Read over your sentences to make sure that they make sense and don't distort the source's meaning.
5. Expect your material to be as long as, and possibly longer than, the original.
6. Avoid plagiarism.
7. Write down all documentation information so that you can document your source when you use it in your
Guidelines for using summaries
1. Identify the main points
2. Condense the main points
without losing the essence of the material.
3. Use your own words to condense the message.
4. Keep your
5. Avoid plagiarism.
6. Write down all documentation information so that you can document
your source when you use it in your writing.
Motivations for using a quote:
1. conciseness: Paraphrasing would use too many words, making your sentence
seem long and awkward.
2. accuracy: Paraphrasing could distort the author's intended meaning. Note: It is also not
very effective to try to paraphrase statistics!
3. memorable language: Paraphrasing would lessen the impact because
the original words are so vivid and powerful.
4. authority: Paraphrasing would diminish the impact and credibility
you wish to establish by the use of a direct quote from someone in a position of authority on your topic.
information: Paraphrasing would cause the reader to question the validity of your statement because the information is so
shocking or surprising.